The Japanese company Sony Mobile has been quite careful when launching and organizing updates to Android 5.1 Lollipop . In fact, there are already many users who have been able to try the honeys of this update and many others who are waiting for the arrival of Android 6.0 Marshmallow , a version that has already begun to land on the developers' teams and that could soon land on users' mobiles. Be that as it may, there are a sea of computers for which the update to Android 5.1 Lollipop has recently begun . We talk about the Sony Xperia M2 and Sony Xperia M2 Aqua , two smartphonesmid-range that you can upgrade from now on. Next, we tell you how to do it in a few steps.
It is the most comfortable and fastest update that exists and the one that is available for the vast majority of current devices. You will not need to use any cables, or connect your device to the computer. Nor will you have to download special software or waste too much time. Next, we tell you how to update your Sony Xperia M2 and Sony Xperia M2 Aqua to Android 5.1 Lollipop via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) or wirelessly.
Prepare your device
1) It is a very important step, without which you cannot start any update. The first thing you have to do is start a backup of all your most important content and settings. The only thing that you will not be able to save are the applications, but you will have the possibility to keep the most important things. This is a very important step, because any update process is delicate . Nothing has to happen, but it will never hurt if you have a copy of everything that matters to you. If you haven't done any yet, follow these steps:
- Access the menu of your phone.
- Find and tap on the Backup and restore section .
- Select Backup and now choose a destination location. At this point you will also have to choose which files you want to keep.
- Click on Backup now .
- Enter a password and click OK .
Note that in the case of Sony , you can also use the PC Companion or Bridge software , if you have a Mac , and save the backup on your computer.
2) The next step we would take: check the capacity of your team . Keep in mind that all updates require some free space and that you can achieve this if you delete some applications that you no longer use, if you download all your photos to a computer, hard drive or cloud or if you clear the cache of the apps. This step will not only come in handy when carrying out an update like the one at hand, but it will also help you to do regular maintenance on your equipment.
3) Another step you must take: if you know that the update is ready, you will have to fully charge your Sony's battery . This is important because the computer should not be turned off at any time during the update. Make sure it is at least 80% full .
4) And finally, with the update about to arrive on your computer, it will be eminently necessary that you be connected to a WiFi wireless network that can provide stability during the download process. It's basic.
- Look for the update
1) Would you know how to find the update? Too easy. Simply go to the Settings> About phone> Software update section .
2) If the update is available, you will see that the system itself takes care of putting the data package on the tray. Just in case you have prepared the device well, we would recommend that you start the update process . If not, you can put the update on hold and come back later for it.
3) Keep in mind, however, that once it is available, you will most likely receive a notification from Sony stating that you have an update ready to be installed.
4) If you haven't received it yet, don't worry (at all). The data package is progressively reaching all markets , so it is very likely that not all equipment (especially if they are associated with different operators) will receive the update at the same time.
Update your Sony Xperia M2 and Sony Xperia M2 Aqua
1) Everything is done. With your device ready and the update to the point of candy, we only have to update. Accept the arrival of the data packet . Now the download will start.
2) Once the file is downloaded , the installation will start automatically, so you won't have to worry about anything. Simply follow the instructions that appear on the screen and do not turn off the computer at any time . Precisely for this reason, we would recommend updating when you have more time and do not expect urgent calls or messages.
3) It is quite possible that at the end of the process, the device will have to be rebooted several times . Just wait for the update to take its course. When it's done, you should already enjoy the new version of Lollipop. You can check it in the Settings> About phone section .
If you do not want to update via FOTA and prefer to do it through the traditional route, here we tell you how to do it with cables.
Download the PC Companion software
1) If you want to download and install the update through your computer, you must first have the PC Companion or Bridge computer software (if you use a Mac ). You can download this pair of programs through the official Sony website and of course, completely free of charge.
2) Follow the update process . It shouldn't take more than a few minutes, but be patient and wait, clicking on the appropriate steps and ultimately following the instructions provided by the system.
3) Once the program is installed, it is very likely that a shortcut icon has been installed on the desktop. In this way, you will be able to access this tool more easily .
Prepare the update
1) With the program installed, the next thing you have to do is get down to work to update. Logically, you will have to connect your Sony Xperia M2 or Sony Xperia M2 Aqua to the computer .
2) Get the USB cable that came in the box with the equipment or, if you cannot find it, use any other compatible cable.
3) The system will automatically detect your device, so it is very possible that PC Companion activates itself. If not, don't worry: double click on the program.
Update your Sony Xperia M2 or Sony Xperia M2 Aqua
1) The time has come. You can now update your equipment . It is very possible that you will receive a notification or warning message indicating that there is already an update ready to be installed.
2) If not, you can click on the option that you will see above, which indicates Update phone / tablet . Then click on Next and then on Finish.
3) From now on you will not have to do anything else, because the process will continue independently. The download and update may take a long time (30-45 minutes) , so you will have to be patient and wait. Be that as it may, the only thing you should not do at any time is to disconnect the phone from the computer.
4) Finally, keep in mind that the computer will have to restart one or more times. This is completely normal. When everything is finished, you can disconnect your Sony Xperia M2 or Sony Xperia M2 Aqua from the computer and start enjoying Android 5.1 Lollipop and all its advantages.