Most advanced Samsung Galaxy device owners are looking forward to the Android 5.0 Lollipop update like water in May . But unfortunately, to date we have only been able to confirm the release of this data package for the current flagship of the firm: the Samsung Galaxy S5 . Meanwhile, the rest of users will have to wait patiently until Samsung decides to launch the updates. We do know, that yes, that the most cutting-edge devices in its catalog will receive Lollipop . Among them could be the Samsung Galaxy Note 2Although the truth is that for now we are not in a position to confirm this news officially. There is, however, for the most impatient users, an unofficial update that will allow them to enjoy the advantages of Lollipop , even partially or with some specific failures.
We are talking about a ROM developed by the CyanogenMod team that brings Android 5.0.2 Lollipop to the unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 2 . To carry out this update it is necessary to have extensive knowledge in the field and take into account that any failure can ruin the proper functioning of the equipment. For this reason, if you have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and you are interested in updating it (even if it is unofficially), you should bear in mind that the update involves serious risks and that neither the Samsung company nor this medium will be responsible for any damage that may occur on your team. If you still want to try the updateHere are some preliminary instructions to update your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to Android 5.0 Lollipop unofficial .
First steps before the update
The first thing you have to be clear about is that this ROM is available for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE , with the official model number GT-N7105 . The update that we will install in this terminal is the one corresponding to Android 5.0.2 , a version developed by the CyanogenMod team .
1) Check the model number. This is the international variant. You can check if the GT-N7105 code exists by accessing the Settings> About phone section .
2) Charge the battery of the equipment to the maximum, or at least, up to 80% of its capacity . It is about avoiding any fatal errors caused by an unexpected power outage.
3) Make a backup of all your most important data and settings. You can do it through a recovery tool like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP . Within Recovery, choose Backup and restore from backup . Verify that the USB drivers for the phone on the computer are correct.
4) Activate the USB debugging mode through the following sequence: Configuration> Developer options (with Android 4.0 or higher) or Settings> Applications> Development (if you work with Android 2.3 or earlier).
5) Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed and that the bootloader has been unlocked.
1) The next step is to download the files . As you know, this type of update requires two essential files .
2) Here you have the corresponding links to download Android 5.0.2 based CyanogenMod 12 Nightly ROM and Google Apps.
How to install the update step by step
1) Download the mentioned files to your computer. Then connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable .
2) Copy the downloaded file (CyanogenMod 12 ROM) to the root folder of the phone's SD card. Turn off your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
3) Now you will have to start the device in recovery mode , clicking on Volume Up, the Start button and the Power button at the same time .
4) When the phone has entered the CWM recovery mode , you will need to access Wipe Data / Factory Reset . You can use the volume keys to navigate between options and press the power button to select any option within the recovery mode.
5) Next you will have to partition the Wipe Caché and wait until the process is completely completed. After this, it is advisable to cache Wipe Dalvik to avoid boot errors during installation. You have to access the Advanced option and select Wipe Dalvik Caché .
6) Return to the main recovery menu and install the file that you have saved on the microSD card. Choose the ZIP located on the card and use the volume keys to scroll through the different options on the ROM . Confirm the installation on the next screen. The process will begin.
7) Repeat the steps above to install Google Apps (gapps) - the other downloaded file - on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
8) When the process is finished, go to “+++++ Go Back +++++” and choose Reboot system from the recovery menu .
The reboot may take up to five minutes. Either way, be patient and wait for this to finish. You should soon start enjoying the benefits of Lollipop on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 .
The advantages of this ROM
If you are installing this update, while taking into account all the previous questions, you should know that the operation of the 3G / LTE services on the computer are completely correct, and the like of the camera , the video playback , the receiving calls and SMS and music . There are, however, some failures in the proximity sensor , in the GPS functions , in the NFC (which does not work in any case) and in the volume of calls, which is quite low.