In the last hours, Sony has made available to some Xperia models the AOSP configurations and the binary files (basic) based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow , currently only available via OTA for the Nexus 5, 6, 7 (2013), 9 and Nexus Player . In this way, developers who decide to create new firmwares already have an official starting point to build on.
One of the terminals that can have this early data package is the Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Users who wish to do so can follow a series of steps to make use of Marshmallow . All those who have been able to update have assured that everything works quite well and that at the moment they do not present errors, not beyond those that have been reported to arrive with this version of the platform. The benefits are enormous. Users of the Xperia Z Ultra, and other compatible models, will be able to experience greater speed when working with the system. The phone will work better and faster and you will be able to optimize and customize everything you do with it (remove bloatware, add features that cannot be found in the previous version, overclock, etc…).
Before updating, you need to make a backup copy of all the data and files that you have saved on your Xperia device . We advise you, so that you always have them at hand, that you make use of a Dropbox- type cloud storage service . It is also important to restore applications in order to save data such as contact list, call log, text messages, IMEI / NVRAM data, images, videos, audio files, purchased applications, Internet settings and everything else that you will need after completing the whole operation
Don't forget that you have to use a computer for the update process. It is best if you temporarily disable virus protection on this computer, as security tools could interfere with download procedures that must be completed. For the rest, do not update before you realize the battery level of your device (it should have more than 60 percent).
Now it is time to update. Follow the next steps:
- From this page download the update file (get the 4 files that appear). Then download the Google Apps package here
- Put the downloaded files in a separate folder on the desktop
- Connect your Xperia Z Ultra to the computer with the USB cable
- Transfer only the Google Apps package to the phone and then disconnect the USB cable
- Now, turn off the device completely. Then reboot the device in bootloader mode
- Once again connect the device to the computer
- Next, access the folder in which you have placed the downloaded files and from there open a command prompt window
- For cmd window : hold down the shift keyboard key when right-clicking on any blank space
- Then, in the cmd window, type the following commands (press Enter after each line): “fastboot flash boot boot.img”, “fastboot flash cache cache.img”, “fastboot flash system system.img”, “fastboot flash userdata userdata.img "," fastboot reboot "
- After doing this put your Sony Xperia Z Ultra into recovery mode
- From here, clean the system by selecting "wipe factory restore data", "wipe cache partition" and "wipe Dalvik cache"
- Then choose the Google Apps package (select "install zip from SD card" and "choose zip from SD card" ) and install the mentioned package
- Finally, from the main recovery menu, select "reboot system now"
Have you been able to update successfully? Feel free to share all your impressions or problems in the comments section.