The Japanese company Sony Mobile is pushing a major update. We are talking about Android 5.1.1 Lollipop , the latest version of this data package, whose closest descendant will be Android 6.0 Marshmallow . But there is still a little left for that. It is expected that this version can give out from the September 29 , although it makes sense that the old terminals - here we exclude the Nexus of Google - can not be updated until the end of 2015 or early 2016 . Meanwhile, if you have any of the Xperia Z family devices, you should get down to work to update to the latest version of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop . It will bring to your device some important improvements, performance fixes and probably the patch that will allow users to get rid of the dangerous Stagefright vulnerability . But do you know how to upgrade? Next, we will tell you how to update the Sony Xperia Z to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop in a few steps.
Prepare for the upgrade
The first thing you have to do is make the necessary preparations to update your Sony Xperia Z to the latest version of Lollipop . To do this, the following will be necessary:
1) Fully charge your device or make sure the phone is at least 50% full (at least). If not, you open the door for your Sony Xperia Z to unexpectedly shut down and cause fatal failures. This step is essential if you are going to update via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) or wirelessly.
2) Connect to a WiFi wireless network that provides stability. This is also basic. Keep in mind that these types of updates are usually heavy. You will need a good way to receive the data packet and launch it on your computer.
3) Check available memory. This update will require you to have enough memory, so take care to check it. You can delete files and applications that you don't use, transfer your photo albums to the cloud or an external hard drive or move some data to the SD card.
4) Make a backup of your most important content and settings . Within the settings section you have a simple procedure to start automatic copies and store them in Drive . Keep in mind that all update processes are delicate and that any failure can ruin the normal functioning of your computer and, what is worse, the data that you keep with more suspicion.
Check for the update to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
If you are going to update via FOTA , the next thing you have to do is look for the update. How is this done? We will tell you.
1) Most likely, once the update is available, you will receive a notification from Sony Mobile stating that the data package is now ready to be installed.
2) If not, you may have a problem: your device does not have enough available space (it will be necessary that you have at least 500 MB free ). In this case, you will have no choice but to delete content and leave free space for the update to continue. Keep in mind that photos and videos take up a lot of space, so you may need to start cropping here.
3) When you have taken this step, you will most likely be able to launch the update. If not, you can also check the availability of the update yourself. Simply access the applications menu of your Sony Xperia Z and select Settings> About phone> Software update .
4) If you can't find the update and you've taken all the steps we've recommended, don't worry. Your team may not have landed yet . Keep in mind that these updates are usually made progressively and that they can reach the equipment at different times, depending, in addition, on whether you have a free terminal or associated with a specific operator.
Download the update to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
If you have taken all the steps previously proposed, you and your device are now ready to update to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop . If you think that doing it via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) can be practical, all you have to do is the following:
1) When you receive the message or discover a pending update, ready to be installed, click on the Download button .
2) The download process will start at this point . Be patient and wait, because the data packet may take a while to download.
3) With the device ready to be installed, you just have to click on Install and follow the instructions provided during the installation process.
4) Keep in mind that the process can take longer (even half an hour) so you will have to be patient and wait. During the download and installation, you will not be able to use the device, so make sure that you perform the update at a quiet time, when you do not need to make or receive calls.
5) After installation, the device may need one or more reboots . It is important so that the update can settle and everything works as it should.
Update your Sony Xperia Z via PC Companion
Did you know that you can also download and install the update to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop through a software on your device? We are talking about PC Companion Sony Bridge , if you use a Mac .
1) To update your Sony Xperia Z through this route, you will need to download the program. We are talking about PC Companion or Sony Bridge . Both versions are free and available through the Sony website . We have provided the links for you to download this software quickly.
2) Now connect your device to the computer. You will only need a USB cable to connect your Sony Xperia Z with the computer . You can use the one that came in the box of your equipment or rescue any other that is compatible.
3) It is possible that the PC Companion software starts automatically, but if it doesn't, all you have to do is open it by double clicking on the icon installed on your desktop.
4) If the update is already available , you will see an informative pop-up screen appear before you.
5) All you have to do now is follow the instructions provided by the system and carry out the pending updates. In this case, the one corresponding to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop .
6) Do not disconnect your equipment at any time from the computer and wait to receive the instructions and instructions from the system . At the end, the computer will restart and begin to enjoy the new version of Lollipop on your Sony Xperia Z .