The Microsoft company has just launched the update to Windows Phone 8.1 , a very important data package that will reach part of the Nokia Lumia terminals and that brings with it many important news such as the Cortana assistant or the Action Center , the expected center of notifications that have been claimed on so many occasions by the users of this platform. One of the first computers to receive Windows Phone 8.1 is the Nokia Lumia 625 , a smartphonethat it is not exactly part of the highest range, but that despite everything, it will be one of the first to taste the honeys of this long-awaited update. But when and how will this data pack reach Nokia Lumia users ? Well, during this last week we have learned that the update is being implemented in stages, with Spain, Taiwan and Finland being the first countries in the world to receive it. Once this stage is over, the update will be rolled out to the rest of the world in just a few weeks.
In this way, if you have a Nokia Lumia 625 in your pocket and you live in Spain, you can consider yourself lucky, because you will be one of the first to enjoy the advantages of Windows Phone 8.1 . But do you know how to upgrade? Next, we will tell you, step by step, how to do it in an agile and practical way.
Way 1. Update via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air)
First step. Prepare the device for the update.
1) To update via FOTA (without the need for cables), you will have to have your Nokia Lumia ready . This means that in the first place, it will be necessary to have the terminal battery fully charged or at least up to 80% of its capacity .
2) Also, before starting the download, you must make sure that the Nokia Lumia is connected to a WiFi wireless network so as not to spend the data quota that you have contracted with your operator or suffer the effects of an unexpected cut in the connection.
3) Make sure you have enough space for the update. Nokia recommends having 1.5 GB of free memory on your phone. If you don't know how to check the remaining capacity, go to the Settings> Storage sensor / Storage control section to check it. If you see that there is not enough space, delete those files and applications that you will no longer use.
4) But this is not all. Finally, we would also recommend making a backup copy of all the settings and files that you have stored on your computer. You should know that with each update there is a risk (although minimal) of a fatal error that can eliminate important information.
Second step. Make a backup of the phone.
1) It is always advisable to have a backup copy of the phone to continue keeping the most important data (settings, messages, photos, videos) even if an accident occurs. To begin, go to the home screen of your Nokia Lumia and click on Settings> Backup .
2) The system will ask you to log in, so you will have to enter your Microsoft account information . If you don't have it yet, you will have to register it for the first time. Follow the simple steps provided by the system to get it.
3) Next, you will have to select those items that you are interested in making a backup copy of. Here you can include files, folders and settings , but never applications. In the event of an error, you would have to reinstall your favorite apps through the Windows Phone app store .
4) Once selected, the process will start. Please wait patiently and do not interrupt at any time. Remember to be connected to a WiFi network so that the heaviest content (videos and photos) can be uploaded as quickly as possible to the cloud.
5) If you are interested in saving other types of content (we expressly refer to music files), it will be more advisable to use the desktop application for Windows Phone . You can download it for free from the official Microsoft website .
Third step. Launch the update.
1) Well, the time has come. It is very possible that the system itself has sent you a notice (in the form of a notification ) to announce that the update to Windows Phone 8.1 is now ready to be installed on your computer. If otherwise the notification does not appear, you can check yourself if it is available. Just go to Settings> Phone update to check.
2) Be that as it may, if the update is ready, you just have to click on the notification message and start following the instructions provided by the phone. However, if you have received the warning and at that moment you can not start the update , you should know that you can always recover the download later, when you are at the office or in the tranquility of home.
3) And this is the moment of truth. Once the data package is downloaded, the update may take up to 30 minutes , although in the case of Windows Phone 8.1 it could take up to 60 minutes. That is why we recommend choosing a time when you do not have to be aware of any message or call, because during the installation you will not be able to use the phone .
4) Your Nokia Lumia may restart at different times. Don't worry, it's completely normal. When the process is finished, you will read it on the screen of the device and you can begin to enjoy all the improvements that Windows Phone 8.1 brings .
Way 2. Update via desktop application.
First step. Download and install the desktop application for Windows Phone.
1) If you have not done so yet, to update your Nokia Lumia connected to your computer to Windows Phone 8.1 , you will need to download the program from the official Microsoft website . Click on the Download now link .
2) The file will be downloaded to your computer. Open it and start with the installation of this program by clicking on the Run button . Just follow the instructions and accept the license terms to get the deal done in a few minutes.
3) With the program installed, all you have to do is connect the Nokia Lumia to your computer so that the software will automatically recognize it.
Second step. Look for the update.
1) Once inside the software and with the phone connected (you will only need a compatible USB cable that you will find in the box), click on the Settings link , located in the upper right part of the program.
2) To check if there is pending software , click on the button Check now to see if there are recent versions to install on your computer. In this case, what we expect is the data package corresponding to Windows Phone 8.1 .
Third step. It starts with the installation .
1) If the search is positive, the process will begin almost immediately. In this case it will not be necessary to be connected to any network.
2) It is very possible that the download and installation time will take a few minutes (approximately 30 to 60 ), so be patient and wait. Do not disconnect the device from the computer at any time, since you could cause fatal errors.
3) Remember that the system will reboot repeatedly. Do not worry or worry. It is completely normal. With the last restart, the device itself will tell you that it already has the new update and you can start enjoying the news in Windows Phone 8.1 .
And what if my upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 isn't ready yet? It is very possible that at this point you have not received the update and that when checking the availability of the data package you have been disappointed . Do not worry. Usually, updates are launched progressively, which means that from one moment to the next it should appear on your computer through a notification , especially considering that Spain is one of the countries chosen for the first launch. . But if on the contrary, you have already been able to update your Nokia Lumia to Windows Phone 8.1, you can share your experience through the comments section. Were you able to install this update easily? What do you think of the new improvements?