Windows 10 is an operating system that receives constant updates and improvements, but even so, the popular operating system has problems and errors quite often. Since Windows 10 hit the market a few years ago, some users have experienced that the brightness control in Windows 10 does not work . Due to this strange error, users are unable to increase or decrease the brightness levels on their Windows 10 PC.
Update the display adapter drivers
There are several reasons that may prevent you from changing the screen brightness of your Windows 10 computer. A big reason why you cannot adjust the brightness in Windows 10 is that there could be something wrong with the GPU display drivers . Therefore, the first step in trying to fix it is to update the graphics driver.
- Use the search engine in the Start menu to get to the "Device Manager".
- Expand the "Display adapters" option.
- Click with the right mouse button on the display adapter that you will see in the list, and after that click on "Update the driver software".
- Select the option to automatically search for updated driver software.
- Restart your computer after updating and see if it is fixed.
You can also try the latest drivers from your graphics card manufacturer's website, be it AMD, Nvidia, or Intel. Before doing so, we recommend a clean uninstallation of the drivers.
Enable adaptive brightness
Another trick you can use to try to fix the problem of not being able to change the brightness on your Windows 10 computer is to turn on adaptive brightness . This is very simple, you just have to follow the following steps:
- Click Start and go to "Control Panel."
- Select the "Power Options."
- Click the "Change plan settings" link next to your current power plan.
- Now go into "Change advanced power settings".
- In the new window, select "change advanced power settings" to open the listings below.
- Find and modify each of the following options to your liking:
- Brightness of the screen
- Screen brightness dim
- Enable adaptive brightness
Finally, apply the changes and see if the brightness problem on your Windows 10 PC has been fixed .
Enable the PnP monitor again
This last option will force Windows 10 to detect your computer monitor again . In this way, if there is a problem with the configuration of the screen, it is very possible that it will be solved. Follow the steps below to do it:
- Access the Device Manager again from the Windows 10 search engine.
- Enter the "Monitors" section.
- Right click on the generic PnP monitor to check if it is enabled.
- If it is not enabled, click on "Enable device". If it's enabled, disable it.
- Now click on the "Action" tab in the top menu of Device Manager.
- Choose the option “Search for hardware changes”.
- Let the scan tool run for Windows 10 to detect and configure the monitor again.
Once you're done, check to see if the problem has been fixed.
If this problem persists, you should ask a specialist for help. If the display is faulty, updating the drivers will not solve the problem.
Was this solution helpful for Windows 10 brightness control problem? Tell us about your experience in the comments below this post.