Did you know that the update to Android 5.0 Lollipop for the Samsung Galaxy S4 has already started rolling in some markets? Contrary to what we thought (there are other newer equipment that would deserve this update in the first instance), the data package corresponding to the latest version of Android has been made available to owners of the Samsung Galaxy S4 in Russia . This means that after making a first test launch, the update to Lollipop could reach the rest of the markets very soon, including Spain. Either way, we must indicate that the update has landed some teams via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air), showing off a not inconsiderable weight: 1.05 GB . It brings with it all the features and improvements of Lollipop (including Material Design , new smarter notifications, quick configuration system or more energy efficiency).
But, do you really know how to bring all these improvements to your device? You must bear in mind that at the time of publishing this article, the update is not yet ready for the Spanish market. These instructions will allow you to easily install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Samsung Galaxy S4 once it is available in our region.
Option 1. Update via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air)
It is the fastest update system, because it does not require cables or the installation of any additional programs. We tell you how to carry it out, below.
First step. Prepare the Samsung Galaxy S4 for the update.
1) The update process is quite long and heavy. Choose a time when you have time and are not going to use the phone to calmly install the data package. The first thing you will have to do is make some memory space . In order to install this update, you will need 3 GB of internal memory . You should also know that with the process you will lose 950 MB of capacity .
2) Next, and once the update is ready to be installed, remember to charge the battery of the Samsung Galaxy S4 to the maximum. If not, this is not possible, at least it is up to 80% of its capacity .
3) Connect to a WiFi wireless network during the download process. Taking into account that the data package that you must download is quite heavy, it is highly recommended not to consume the data that you have contracted with your operator. In addition, being connected to a WiFi network you will have guaranteed stability and avoid any failure during this delicate process.
4) Finally, make a backup of all your content . We tell you how to do it, in the next step.
Second step. Make a backup of your favorite contents.
1) Updating any equipment is an extremely delicate process. And although it does not usually happen, we must bear in mind that the data that we have stored in the equipment could be lost if any failure occurs. To make a backup copy of your content, you will have to access the Applications section on the main screen of the Samsung Galaxy S4 .
2) Next, you will have to access the Settings> User> Backup section . When you have reached this screen, select the Backup account option .
3) Choose the account you want. If you have not registered yet, you will have to click on the Add account option . Enter the required data.
4) When you finish, it would be necessary to activate the option "Backup is activated" .
Third step. Look for the update to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
1) If the update to Android 5.0 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 is ready, you will most likely receive a notification to encourage you to install it. If so, you will only need to accept or postpone it , if you do not want to carry out the installation at that precise moment.
2) You may not have received this notice yet: either because the update is not ready, or because the Samsung servers have not activated the notification. In the second case, you will only have to access the Settings> Phone information> System updates> Check now section .
3) If the software is ready, you can start the process. If the data package is not ready yet, wait until you receive the notice or check its availability in a while.
Fourth step. Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Samsung Galaxy S4.
1) With the update package ready, the next thing you will have to do is accept the download. Be patient and do not manipulate the device during the process.
2) Then follow the instructions provided by the system. You will see that the update installs at its own pace and the device reboots repeatedly on its own.
3) The update process can take between 30 and 45 minutes , since it is a rather heavy data packet.
4) Wait for the data pack to install and the computer to restart for the last time. You should soon start enjoying the benefits of Lollipop on your Samsung Galaxy S4 .
Option 2. Update via KIES.
If you don't want to update via FOTA, you also have the option to do so through KIES , Samsung's own software . We tell you how to start the update through this route.
First step. Install Kies on your computer.
1) It is very possible that you already have Kies installed on your computer, but if not, you will need to access the official Samsung page to download it .
2) Choose the Kies3 option , which is recommended for the most cutting-edge Samsung phones . Click on the Kies3 Download button .
3) Once the download is finished , open the file and follow the steps recommended by the installation wizard. Remember to accept the license terms .
4) To start enjoying the software you will only have to click on the corresponding icon. You are closer to enjoying Lollipop on your Samsung Galaxy S4 .
Second step. Connect the equipment to the computer.
1) Find the USB cable contained in the Samsung Galaxy S4 retail box . If you can't find it, don't worry. Any compatible cable is valid.
2) Connect the small end of the cable to the phone and the other, larger end to the computer.
3) The Kies software should activate automatically. If not, double click on the corresponding icon.
Third step. Look for the update.
1) When activating the Kies software , click on the Basic Information tab. Within this section, you should see the following message: "The update is available . "
2) This means that the update is available to install on your Samsung Galaxy S4 . If it's not ready yet, you'll have to be patient and wait a bit. Remember that the update has not yet reached most markets.
Fourth step. Update your Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
1) With the update to the point of caramel, you just have to click on the Download firmware button to install it on your device.
2) After a few minutes of waiting, you will be able to install this data package to your phone. Follow the instructions provided by the program itself. All you have to do is be patient and do not disconnect or tamper with the Samsung Galaxy S4 at any time.
3) When the process is finished, you just have to click on the OK button . When the software prompts you, disconnect the Samsung Galaxy S4 from the computer.