Microsoft Office includes black and dark gray themes for Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint applications. It is a feature included in Office 365, Office 2019, Office 2016 and Office 2013 and it works on any recent version of Microsoft's operating system, including Windows 7, 8 or 10. Do you want to learn how to use dark mode in Word or another Office app? Keep reading.
To change the Office theme to dark, click the " File " menu in the upper left corner of an Office application such as Word, Excel, Outlook, or PowerPoint.
After that, go to the "Account" option in the sidebar. Open the " Office Theme " drop-down menu and select the theme you want. To enable dark mode, select " Dark gray ".
These background settings affect all Microsoft Office applications on your system. They even affect Office applications on other Windows PCs, assuming you log into them with the same Microsoft account.
There is also a second option to choose your theme. To find it, click File> Options. Make sure the "General" category is selected, and look for the " Customize your copy of Microsoft Office " section. Click on the "Office Theme" box and choose the theme you want. Then click on "OK" to save the changes.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Dark Mode?
Like everything in the tech world, the dark Office and Word theme comes with its share of pros and cons.
- Save energy, especially if the device uses an OLED or AMOLED screen.
- While dark text on a white background is best in terms of readability, Dark Mode is best for reducing eye strain in low light conditions.
- With most of the screen dark, glare is reduced, thus minimizing flicker and blue light.
- Dark themes aren't always better for eye strain. In bright conditions, text appears washed out, increasing eye strain.
- Long content may be more difficult to read in dark mode.
How about the dark theme for Word and Office?