Filmin is the is the Spanish streaming platform created by the company with the same name. The platform in question is focused on auteur cinema, independent cinema and series , although it also has several commercial cinema titles. Although it has been on the scene for more than a decade, the truth is that its fame is far below that of other streaming services such as Netflix or HBO. In fact, the operation of the platform is somewhat different from that of the aforementioned services, as we will see below.
Filmin, how it works and advantages of this alternative to Netflix
index of contents
- What movies and series can I find on Filmin?
- What subscriptions does Filmin have in Spain?
- What are Filmin tickets?
- What video quality does Filmin have in its content?
- Can I use PayPal to pay at Filmin?
- Can I download series and movies to play them offline?
- Can I use Filmin if I am outside of Spain?
- What devices are compatible with the Filmin app?
- Can I rent a movie from Filmin without paying a subscription?
What movies and series can I find on Filmin?
Filmin arrives with a promise, that of offering "the best collection of cinema in Spain". And so it is. Today the platform has more than 10,000 titles, most of them of Spanish origin . We can also find international productions, as well as series and the odd documentary.
Unlike other platforms, Filmin makes sure to offer limited but quality content. According to the platform itself, there is only room for "titles of proven quality, with awards, with prestige, with which you will surely not waste time. To this must be added that the company collaborates closely with some national and international production companies . This means that we can see certain titles at the same time that they are released on the big screen.
What subscriptions does Filmin have in Spain?
Filmin's subscription system is somewhat different from what we find in other more or less known services. On the one hand, the company offers two monthly subscriptions whose difference varies in the price and the number of tickets per session (we will talk about the latter later). Filmin's roadmap is as follows:
- Basic Monthly Subscription : 8 euros per month with two simultaneous screens, offline download and more than 10,000 titles available.
- Monthly Plus Subscription : 15 euros per month with two simultaneous screens, offline download, three tickets and more than 10,000 titles available.
Another option that the platform considers are annual subscriptions. The advantages over the monthly rates are maintained, although the price per month is reduced considerably.
- Basic Annual Subscription : 84 euros per year (about 7 euros per month) with two simultaneous screens, offline download and more than 10,000 titles available.
- Annual Plus Subscription : 120 euros per year (about 10 euros per month) with two simultaneous screens, offline download, twenty-five tickets and more than 10,000 titles available.
What are Filmin tickets?
Filmin tickets are the platform's currency for renting movies that are marked on the web with a diamond . In general, the type of content that we can see with the tickets is based on recently released movies. The rates currently handled by the platform are the following:
- Pack of 5 tickets : 15 euros.
- Pack of 20 tickets : 55 euros.
As Filmin indicates on its website, the tickets can be used in any title available in the catalog, with the exception of series and films distributed by Universal and MGM. Of course, once we have viewed the title in question, we will not be able to play it again . In fact, Filmin only allows you to continue playing the title for the first 72 hours after playing the movie or series for the first time. It should be noted that tickets that do not expire and are cumulative.
What video quality does Filmin have in its content?
Filmin does not specify the playback quality of its videos , it only mentions that they are in “high definition”. Like Netflix and HBO, the final quality depends on your internet connection speed. The scheme followed by the company is as follows:
- 3 to 5 Mb : low video quality.
- 5 to 8M b : medium video quality.
- 8 Mb or more : high video quality.
Can I use PayPal to pay at Filmin?
Correct, Filmin supports the payment of subscriptions through PayPal, as well as the rest of the digital products of the platform. We can also make use of credit and debit cards from Visa and Mastercard through the payment gateway supported by BBVA technology.
Can I download series and movies to play them offline?
Affirmative. Filmin not only supports downloading content offline, it is limited to 12 chapters . Of course, the functionality is limited to devices with Android and iOS as the operating system, that is, to mobile phones and tablets.
Can I use Filmin if I am outside of Spain?
Filmin currently offers its services in Mexico and Portugal since 2016. Outside these countries, the limitation is subject to the laws of the European Union if we reside within one of the member countries. In other words, we can use Filmin within Europe but not beyond the barriers of our continent . In this case we can use a VPN to simulate our location within the country.
What devices are compatible with the Filmin app?
Filmin has a fairly extensive list of compatible devices that we recommend you visit at tuexperto.com. Roughly speaking , the list of devices compatible with Filmin is summarized as follows:
- Playstation 4 (Playstation 3 is not supported)
- Android TV (Philips, Sony and Sharp)
- Fire tv
- LG TVs with Netcast 2.0 and WebOS
- Samsung TVs with Tizen
- Apple tv
Can I rent a movie from Filmin without paying a subscription?
The truth is that yes. Filmin gives the possibility to rent movies individually. We will only have to create a user within the platform and associate a PayPal account or a credit or debit card to make the rental payment.
The restrictions applied on the reproduction of contents are the same as those of a conventional ticket, that is, we can only reproduce the movie during the first 72 hours after we have started the reproduction for the first time .