Smartphones are getting more and more advanced. Their cameras have more megapixels, the processors gain cores and their screens grow and grow, but if there is something that has been constantly decreasing, it is the SIM cards . To this day in our country, SIM cards are still what makes our phones that, phones. Without a SIM we can use all the functions of the mobile if we connect to a WiFi, but it will not be possible to use the data network or make or receive calls, which is why it is such an important piece. SIM cards have been miniaturized over time and there are currently several sizes in circulation,which causes that sometimes we are forced to change the type of SIM card. Contrary to what many users may think, it is not necessary to ask for a duplicate , it can be cut by hand, yes, carefully and following the steps that we explain below.
Before entering the subject, we are going to review the different types of SIM cards that exist:
- SIM : Heirs to the phone cards of the 80s, they were the SIM cards that were inserted in the first mobiles and that are currently in complete disuse . They measured 85.6 x 53.98 millimeters, the same size as a conventional credit card , no wonder they were withdrawn years ago.
- MiniSIM : The MiniSIM are the SIM cards of a lifetime , those that we inserted in our Nokia 3310 or Alcatel One Touch Easy. They have a much smaller size (25 x 15 millimeters) that allowed mobile designs to become more compact and lighter. Most were inserted through a slot under the battery.
- MicroSIM : Currently they are the most widespread standard. Smartphones have many more components than a cell phone before and the need to save space is crucial - especially now that manufacturers have become obsessed with thinness. Apple was responsible for the birth of the MicroSIM when they decided to cut the size to 15 x 12 millimeters with the first iPad and later with the iPhone 4 . Since then the majority of manufacturers have adopted this standard.
- NanoSIM : NanoSIMs are the smallest SIM cards that exist today (12.3 x 8.8) and in them the plastic around is eliminated, leaving only the chip. Again, Apple released this standard with the iPhone 5 and there are already many terminals that integrate it, although at the moment most are high-end terminals such as the Samsung Galaxy S6 or the new Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P .
In order to cut your SIM card to the necessary size, you will have to get hold of several tools:
- Scissors . It works with anyone, but the better the sharpened they are, the better the cut will be.
- Rule . Any object that allows you to draw straight lines can also serve you.
- Ballpoint pen or marker to mark the lines where to cut.
- Sandpaper to smooth the edges.
- Template in PDF . This is the most important element and the one that will guide you when making the marks.
How to cut a SIM card
Currently most mobile operators offer SIM cards in various sizes directly, so that the user can cut it according to the needs of their mobile. However, in many cases we are forced to cut our SIM card to put it in the mobile that we have just released. The most common is to cut a MiniSIM to MicroSIM, but there are more and more phones with NanoSIM. We tell you how to cut your SIM.
1) The first thing you should do is download and print the attached PDF document . It must be printed on an A4-size sheet of paper to be exactly the same size.
2) Place the card on the drawing so that it exactly matches the corresponding silhouette .
3) Hold the SIM card and use the ruler to mark the cutting lines. We recommend using a fine marker so that they are well marked.
4) Take the scissors and cut the plastic along the lines being careful not to come off, but remember that it is always better if you fall short than if you go too far.
5) The last step is to smooth the edges with sandpaper and test that our modified SIM fits well in the tray or slot .