The smartwatches are fashionable. Today, they have become one of the star devices of users thanks to their ease of use, and because the existing offer allows there to be a device for practically each person.
For this reason, new companies are emerging that enter the competitive market for smart watches and bracelets, with a more or less extensive catalog. But which of them has succeeded in this strategy better? What are the brands that sell the most and what is your star product? Next, we will answer all these questions.
Global sales of wearable devices grew 29.7% during the first quarter of the year according to data from the consultancy IDC. However, not everyone has done equally well within this market since, although the sales of smart bracelets and headphones have closed the quarter with very positive data, it does not seem to have done equally well for the smartwatch category which falls -7.1% compared to the first quarter of 2019 .
The causes of these results are multifactorial, but if we were to synthesize the most important ones, it should be pointed out that the appearance of new models, together with a very competitive pricing policy, has substantially benefited the smart bracelet market, with a growth of 16.2% .
On the contrary, smart watches have not suffered the same fate, and although some brands have shown greater resilience to market stakes , the general calculation gives negative results for this entire category.
One of the main causes lies in the COVID-19 crisis, which has affected the supply chain, harming the smartwatches, tablets and smartphones segment equally, since they share many of their manufacturing components.
Apple continues to lead the ranking
According to the IDC report, Apple continues to be the preferred firm in the smartwatches and smartbands category, having also closed 2019 as number one. They are followed, and not closely precisely, by the trio formed by Huawei, Samsung and Garmin that compete for positions 2, 3 and 4 respectively. Finally, a solitary Huami closes the table of the top 5.
- Apple: once again, the Californian company reigns supreme in this ranking with a huge 26.8% market share and more than 4.5 million units sold in the first part of the year. The cornerstone of the catalog is undoubtedly the brand new Apple Watch Series 5 , with very interesting features, such as GPS, heart rate sensor and the electrocardiogram function.
- Huawei: China ranks second with a market share of 15.2% and 2.6 million units sold. Of course, it registers an impressive year-on-year growth of 118.5%, the highest of the entire list. Your new Huawei Watch GT 2, bets on an incredible autonomy that offers up to two weeks of continuous use .
- Samsung: Koreans take third place, with 1.8 million units sold and a 10.8% share. Together with Apple, both brands post negative year-on-year growth. For many, their Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 model is the best smartwatch for Android today , with an excellent user interface and a very well finished design.
- Garmin: In fourth place, Garmin has sold 1.3 units and theirs is 7.5% of the market. Your Forerunner 945 is a premium benchmark for exercise with GPS capabilities and the ability to listen to music.
- Huami: finally, the Chinese company Huami, closes the top 5 with 1 million units sold and 5.8% market share. The second highest growth figure is for her too, with 80.2%. Its recent Amazfit Nexo, offers 4G LTE connectivity and a BioTracker PPG sensor , capable of making energy consumption more efficient.